Wednesday 26 March 2014

Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting


This was a special request from a colleague at work. She saw a recipe online and wanted to know if I could make a Ferrero Rocher cupcake for her. I used a different recipe in the end and am really pleased with the final result. She said the cupcake was absolutely heavenly and tasted just like a ferrero rocher in cake form. It has a dark chocolate sponge with a hidden ferrero rocher inside. It is then topped with a nutella buttercream, chopped, roasted hazelnuts and a drizzle of Nutella on top. I also added an additional Ferrero Rocher to the top of some of the cupcakes. I saw this recipe on you tube and the video is well worth watching. The cakes are slightly on the bland side as I reduced the sugar amount from 300g to 200g but it tastes fine especially when eaten with the frosting and chocolate. If you prefer a sweeter cake then do add more sugar to the mix. 





 Half fill the cupcake case with batter then place a ferrero rocher in the middle 

 cover with more cake batter 

 fresh from the oven 

 use a round tip to pipe one circle on top of the cupcake as shown 

 

 roll in chopped, roasted hazelnuts 

 add a further blob of icing on top 

 drizzle with nutella 

 add another Ferrero Rocher on top 

 cross section 

Recipe adapted from cookies cupcakes and cardio

For the cupcakes
Makes 18

185g plain flour
200g caster sugar (I'd suggest 250-300g for a sweeter bake)
185mls buttermilk  
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1.5 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
185mls warm water
95g cocoa powder

For the Nutella Buttercream 
245g Nutella
225g butter
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g icing sugar, sifted
4 -6 teaspoons whipping cream 

For the decoration and filling
36 Ferrero Rocher chocolate (or 18 if you only want to put one in the middle)
50g roasted, chopped hazelnuts
Nutella for drizzling

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. 
  • Add in eggs, oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk and warm water.
  • Mix thoroughly.
  • Place a spoonful of batter into each cupcake case.
  • Place a Ferrero Rocher in the centre and cover completely with cake batter.
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely before decorating.
  • To make the nutella buttercream, beat the butter and icing sugar together for a few minutes in an electric mixer.
  • Add in the nutella and vanilla extract and continue beating until smooth.
  • Finally add in the whipping cream a teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
  • Decorate the cupcakes as shown above. 


15 comments:

  1. beatiful and love your stand:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know where to begin... there's not a single thing I don't love about this. Yum yum YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish Ros!!! I'm all about the Nutella these days especially after buying the biggest jar of it that I've ever seen in Costco! I love the double whammy of ferrero in each cupcake! I basically made the exact same thing but in brownie form this week...they've been keeping me going through the 4am feeds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not surprised that you like this as we have similar tastes apart from coconut! Brownie form sounds delish!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, super indulgent - just the way I like them! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my frigging gawd these look stunning... what a fab idea!... I love them x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I don't like Ferrero Rocher but looks-wise I love these! That side profile photo is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lush, a very decadent and grown up cuppie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I love that you've hidden a Ferrero Rocher inside too :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!