Today is St Patrick's Day which commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland. It is customary to wear green on St Patrick's day and I'm sure the blogosphere will be awash with green desserts, Baileys and/or Guinness treats. I baked 2 chocolate Guinness cakes but as I've shared the recipe a few times on this blog, I thought I'd make something a little different. I decided on a no bake recipe as I was short on time and pretty much made this up as I went along. I'm really pleased with the final results as it looks good - the perfect green in my eyes and it tastes amazing. It's not the healthiest treat to eat and it's also very difficult to cut a small slice but it's absolutely delicious.
I made an oreo biscuit base followed by a mint cream cheese filling with chopped up mint aeros covered in a layer of chocolate and finished with little Aero bubbles. If you like chocolate and mint then you will love this dessert. It has a crunchy biscuit base with a creamy mint filling and a mint chocolate topping.
I'm sending this to Treat Petite hosted by Kat from the Baking Explorer and co hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi. The theme this month is Ireland.
An original recipe by bakingaddict
For the base
3 packs oreo cookies
For the filling
400g cream cheese
200g icing sugar
5 teaspoons mint extract
green food colouring
2 bars mint Aero - chopped
For the topping
270g dark chocolate
4 teaspoons mint extract
1 pack of mint Aero bubble
- Grease a square baking tray -mine is 21cm x 27cm.
- Place the oreo cookies in a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine crumbs. Alternatively, place in a ziplock back and bash with a rolling pin.
- Melt 150g butter and stir into the cookie crumbs.
- Press into the base of your tin and allow to set in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the filling by placing the cream cheese in an electric mixer and beating on a medium speed until smooth.
- Add in butter and icing sugar and continue beating.
- Finally add in mint extract and green food colouring.
- Spread the filling over the chilled cookie base and press the chopped mint aeros on top.
- Place in the fridge to set for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate and butter and mint extract in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Allow to cool for a while before spreading it on top of the mixture. Tip the tray from side to side until you get an even covering of the chocolate.
- Place the mint aero bubbles on top - green side up at random intervals.
- Place in the fridge to set completely.
- Use a warm knife to slice.