Tuesday 16 December 2014

Broccoli and Red Pepper Quiche


As mentioned I had a Christmas party last weekend and made lots of festive food. This is one of the savoury vegetarian options along with a pesto, cherry tomato & pine nut pasta salad. I chose broccoli and red pepper mainly for the festive colours and it worked beautifully. I also made a fig, lardon and dolcelatte tart (recipe coming up soon) but quite a few preferred this vegetarian quiche. I'm not a huge fan of peppers but I have to say that this was delicious. I loved having the cheese at the bottom as it melts into the pastry and adds to the flavour. Instead of using double cream, I used Carnation's Cook With It which I received in my Degustabox. It made the quiche healthier than using double cream but it did not detract from the taste. 

I'm sending this to the Vegetable Palette hosted by Shaheen from A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table. The theme this month is Festive and Christmas Vegetables and I think this red and green quiche looks very festive indeed! 


I'm also sending it to Eat Your Greens hosted again by Shaheen from A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table. The idea behind it is to encourage you to use a green vegetable in your cooking. I rarely get a chance to enter as I mostly bake sweet stuff so I'm really pleased to join in this month. 



 My Barber's cheese is still going! 

 cook the broccoli and red pepper first 

 add a layer of grated cheese on the cooked pastry  

 add the sauteed vegetables and cover with the egg/cream mixture 

 It disappeared quite quickly at the party! 

For the pastry 
280g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
140g cold butter, cut into pieces
8 tablespoons cold water

 
For the filling
100g grated Cheddar cheese 
1 large broccoli with stems removed
1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced 
4 eggs
300mls Carnation Cook with it or double cream
4 eggs
seasoning - salt, pepper and garlic or onion powder if you have them 

  • To make the pastry using a food processor - place the flour and butter and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly add the water one tablespoon at a time until a dough forms. 
  • Alternatively, rub the butter and flour together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly add water one tablespoon at a time until a dough forms. 
  • Roll into a ball, wrap with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking. 
  • Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line your tart tin. 
  • Use a small ball of pastry scrap to press the pastry into the corners of the tin. 
  • Chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven to 200C.
  • Line the tart case with kitchen foil or baking paper and fill with baking beans. 
  • Blind bake for 20 minutes, then remove the beans and foil/paper and continue baking for 5 - 10 minutes until the pastry is light brown. 
  • In the meantime, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a frying pan. 
  • Add the broccoli and red pepper and cook until just soft.
  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add in the Carnation cook with it and seasoning. 
  • Once the pastry is ready and slightly cooled, pour the grated cheese on to the pastry and level it. 
  • Add the cooked vegetables.
  • Finally add the cream mixture
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and set. 

6 comments:

  1. Love the colours of the quiche. So festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! Yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of making a veggie quiche, but yours looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully festive, now this is the kind of Quiche I want to eat. Hope you had a good Christmas and I wish you the best for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Permainan slot online terpercaya mega88 salah satunya permainan judi yang sangat mudah dimainkan dimana masing-masing bettor sebatas memojokkan tombol SPIN yang ada serta mesin akan automatic mengacak gambar yang sudah ada dimesin itu sampai stop. Nahh, jika mesin slot telah stop berputar-putar serta salah satunya type gambar pada mesin slot mega88 punya pasangannya, karenanya bettor sudah memangkan taruhan pada putaran itu.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!