Sunday 3 May 2015

Football Pinata Birthday Cake


I was asked to bake a football cake for a colleague's son birthday. Last year the birthday boy wanted a trash pack cake which was a challenge but turned out better than expected! I was a little worried that he would ask for something complicated but fortunately he wanted a football cake. His favourite team is Manchester United so I used red for the football. I made a football cake last year which was a little disastrous so I was determined to succeed this year. I also upped the stakes by making it a pinata cake by filling it with lots of M&M's so that there would be a surprise when you cut into the cake. I learnt my lesson from last year and baked the cake 2 days in advance. This allowed plenty of time for the cake to cool before decorating and I managed a whole round sphere with no collapsing cake in sight! I baked 2 hemispheres using my Lakeland hemisphere tin and sliced each in half. I cut a circle out of the top half of each hemisphere and stacked the whole cake with icing. The gap left by the cut out circle made a cavity for the M&M's to go in. I covered the whole cake with a crumb coat icing then a further layer of icing before covering it with white fondant. I couldn't find my hexagon cutter so I had to make my own by cutting out a piece of cardboard in the shape of a hexagon and used that as my guide. I can't draw and it took me ages to get something that resembles a hexagon!

The cake is chocolate mint as requested by the birthday boy and the icing is mint buttercream icing. I piped some 'grass' at the bottom of the cake board and cut out the number 8 to represent his age. The birthday boy was really pleased with the cake. He had a birthday party and the kids were impressed with the M&M's inside the cake when the cake was cut. I asked for a photo which you can see below.

 I baked 2 hemispheres and I used a cookie cutter to balance the tin

 There was some batter left over so I made 2 mini football cakes using a mini football shape mould. 

 Filling the middle with M&M's 

 Chocolate mint icing between each layer 

 My homemade hexagon cutter 

 mini footballs

 finished cake 


 The inside of the cake 


I used Nigella's old fashioned chocolate cake and doubled her recipe. I added in 1 tablespoon of peppermint extract for the mint flavour.
The peppermint icing is made of 250g butter, 500g icing flour and 1/2 tablespoon peppermint extract plus a little green food colouring.
For the decorations - 2 packs of white fondant icing, 1 pack of red fondant icing, 2 bags of M&M's. 

4 comments:

  1. The cake looks amazing..love the texture of the cake and step by step representation.I got so many ideas about different cake flavours after reading this post..keep posting such informative post. And if you want to explore more such cakes then visit us at 1800giftportal..we provide online cakes & gifts delivery at your doorstep
    international cake delivery to Germany
    online cake delivery in Canada
    send cake online
    personalised baby gift

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject. ทีเด็ดบอลสเต็ป2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this blog. I like and appreciate your work. Keep up the good work.
    pinata cake Singapore

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!